S.T.E.A.M Academy Hovercraft Project

Hello people of the internet, I'm back with another project that I have been working on for the past month. I have been working on a hovercraft for the S.T.E.A.M academy for the past few weeks. This is how it went throughout the month.

Q:What was the first step you took in constructing the hovercraft?






A: We had done a hovercraft out of cardboard and after seeing what works and what wouldn't, we gathered measurements and started to figure out what we could improve as we moved to steel for the hovercraft. 

Q: What would help you know how much to cut off from steel?

 A: We were making a cone for the top part of the hovercraft and Kelly one of my teammates from the group would do calculations to let me know how much to distance from each other.

Q: Did a problem ever present itself throughout the project?
 A: Yes, when I would try to do the outline, I would move the center point and then the line would move from its original path.

Q: How were you able to trace a whole circle onto the metal.?
A: I was able to be provided with this modified compass that would let me reach the radius of 5.25in and give me an accurate outline of the circle.

Q: How were you able to measure the radius for the circle?
 A: I would use a compass to help me measure precisely the radius of the circle.

Q: Was there a method that helped you greatly throughout the process?
 A: A method that helped me throughout the project was bluing. I would put the layout fluid on the metal fluid on the metal, and I had the spray handy in case if I made a mistake.

Q: How were you able to cut in the middle of the metal circle.
 A: I would poke holes with the hole puncher in the middle of the metal to give me weak points to cut through with the hand shear.

Q: Were you able to use the hand shear with ease?
 A: In the beginning I had trouble using the hand shear, but after a while I figured out  the best way is to cut short and simple and it did turn out to be easier.

Q: Did you just do one cone for the hovercraft?
 A: No we did not, we decided to go with the plans of two cones, one on both the top and bottom. This would help out with the structure of the hovercraft.

Q:What did the finish product look like?
A: This is how the lower cone looked like when filed, sanded down, and spot welded.

That was what I have been working on most of the month I hope you enjoy and I will see you until the next time.

Comments

  1. I'll drink to that bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Filthy Frank as well fellow amigo you tuber.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making A Case For A Battery Controller (Part 4 of 4)

New York City: Maker Faire!!!